William Shakespeare is widely known for his literary contributions that are still celebrated in the 21st century. Children of the internet era do not see him as a cool dramatist, as the people of the golden age did. Back in the days, he was a rock star writer. He was considered the GRR Martin or the Tolkien of the 17th century. He wrote sonnets which is probably equivalent to Eminem’s rap songs. He was an actor and he wrote his own plays. His stories were made into plays, which could have been directed by Steven Spielberg of Shakespeare’s times. Here are more facts about England’s national poet.
- He was born on April 23, 1564 and died on the same day in 1616. Coincidence? Some historians think not. He was one drama-loving artist that might have premeditated his death on the exact same day he was born. No one knows how he died which added to speculations of a suicide. There were 13 instances of suicide in all his literary work.
- His wife’s name was Anne Hathaway, same name as the modern day actress. Coincidence? Yes.
- He was only 18 years old when he married. He had eight children, including a pair of twins Hamnet, who died at age 11, and Judith. They lived in a house called New Palace.
- The literary genius never attended a university. His works and prominence in the society were purely out of skill and talent.
- His interest for the theater was present in his younger years and his father took him to see traveling shows.
- He never published his own plays. They were instead bought from him and published by his fellow actors. His sonnets were published in 1609 without Shakespeare’s permission.
- He wore an earring on his left ear, as shown in a painting of him in the National Portrait Gallery in London.
- He was close friends with Queen Elizabeth I. Some of his plays were written for her majesty.
- He wrote his first play when he was 25 years old. He had a total of 37 plays, some of which were turned into famous plays performed before Queen Elizabeth and King James I.
- He did not have a penny to his name when he died. He only left his wife a bed when he died at age 52. His tomb was inscribed with a curse.
Article publié pour la première fois le 05/06/2013