The worst kind of ageing is when your brain declines way ahead of your body which is basically the definition of being dumb. Getting old is associated with inevitable bodily changes but the brain can be prevented from being senile. The key is to keep active mentally. You know what they say: you snooze, you lose it. Here are some tips on how to keep your brain young and alert.
- Take up a new physical activity. There are thousands of things that you don’t know how to do but surely there’s a few handful that you yearned to learn. Use the excuse of keeping your brain healthy and take up surfing lessons, dancing, tai-chi, or any kind of sport. These are brain-power activities, according to wellness experts. Memorizing dance and sport moves activates various brain functions. Movements can also promote blood circulation which in turn keeps the brain well-oxygenated.
- Feed your brain with new information. Lean a new language, a musical instrument or even go back to school for an academic course. Learning makes your brain busy gives you something to process or look forward to. Brain-enhancement can also be done through reading, writing a journal, teaching or simply joining discussions.
- Join your kids in their high-tech lair and equip yourself with knowledge about pop culture and modern technology. This advice is especially directed to the techno-phobic or the ones who loathe technology. Modern gadgets could be the only thing that’s between you and your youthful mentality. Knowing about these things keeps you abreast with what’s going on with the world and with the younger generation. This way, when you hear news about computer hacking, you won’t get a mental picture of a PC that was broken by a man with an axe.
- When you’ve kept up with the technology-savvy Joneses, try one of the computer programs aimed at keeping the human brain fit. Neuroscientist Michael Merzenic, PhD, has developed a computer program to speed up the processing function of the brain. There is also a hand-held Nintendo gaming device called Brian Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day. According to scientists, these programs slow down brain ageing and may even be able to treat dementia someday.
- Load up on healthy snacks and foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids such as fish, flax seeds, walnuts, shrimp, tofu, seafood and sardines. The brain will benefit from the anti-oxidants that promote cellular health all throughout the body. They also improve the brain’s memory power, concentration and overall clarity.
Article publié pour la première fois le 21/08/2013