If you have the taste for the grotesque and the macabre then you might find some of the movies here to be a source of entertainment come the weekend. Some of these movies are overly weird and obscure too, to say the least, but they can give your brain something to pick on while eating popcorn.
- Donnie Darko – Donnie Darko is a teenager who sleepwalked himself out of his town only to meet Frank that appeared as a giant bunny with a demonic look who warned him about the last days of Earth. Donnie tries to deal with this fact but when Frank comes to mind, he finds himself doing strange acts of vandalism.
- A Clockwork Orange – This movie created quite a stir when it was first released but the musical counterpoints combined with stunning images blended well, A Clockwork Orange ended up four nominations from the Academy Award and Best Picture and Director from New York Film Critics.
- Intacto – This movie is all about the lives of four lucky people who were pitted against each other’s luck in a series of competitions and tests to see which one is the luckiest of them all. Intacto will definitely make you wonder just how lucky you are.
- Delicatessen – A movie set in a time where food is used as a currency. The owner of an apartment building also owns the delicatessen below and is in need of a maintenance man to help around. The butcher plans on serving the new boy to his guests but when his daughter fell in love with him, the two planned on stopping her father by asking help from the troglodytes.
- Pi – A mathematical genius obsessed with equations tries to escape the Wall Street traders and a Hasidic searching for hidden mathematical theories in the Torah.
- Maniac – A man past his prime moonlights as a schizophrenic serial killer where he stalks women at night to kill and scalp them. He uses the scalps on mannequins in order to communicate with his mother who is long dead.
- Pan’s Labyrinth – Ofelia loves fairy tales but did not experience that she will be living in one. She needs to pass three tests to prove that she is royalty. Ofelia is taken to a world filled with mythical creatures both good and bad.
- Me and You and Everyone We Know – This movie is more on how people are attempting to stay connected in a contemporary yet isolated world.
- Drowning in Numbers – A mother of two daughters drowned her husband after she got tired of his womanizing ways. Her daughters appear to follow her footsteps with their own relationships with the local coroner helping them out.
- Brazil – This sci-fi movie is a bit long but if you love Kafka’s and George Orwell’s works then this movie will just be right up your alley.
Article publié pour la première fois le 10/06/2013